September 1, 2012

"A Florida Cracker in Tennessee"

                         My Dad, "Jack Burton Rediker" was born 20 January 1938, in (Davidson County) Nashville, Tennessee. He currently resides in (Cheatham County) Ashland City, Tennessee. He's been married three times and has five children.
                         His first marriage was on 13 April 1957; to "Patricia Faye Lannom" in (Robertson County) Springfield, Tennessee. The first-born of their four children together is "Cathy Faye Rediker," she was born  10 March 1958, at Vanderbilt Hospital; in (Davidson County) Nashville, Tennessee. Second-born is "Jackie Allen Rediker," he was born 9 January 1960, at  Vanderbilt Hospital; in (Davidson County) Nashville, Tennessee. Third-born is "Teddie Lee Rediker," she was born 23 October 1962, at  Vanderbilt Hospital; in (Davidson County) Nashville, Tennessee. Their fourth child together is "Jason Burton Rediker," he was born 18 June 1976, at the General Hospital; in (Davidson County) Nashville, Tennessee.
                         Somewhere around 1977, my Dad met my Mother "Vickie Lyn Toll," I, Ezri Justin Rediker was born 8 October 1979, at Raulerson Hospital; in (Okeechobee County) Okeechobee, Florida. My Mom and my Dad parted ways around July of 1980. My Mom is said to have went back to Nashville, Tennessee. My Dad and I remained in Okeechobee, Florida until the winter of 1984, when we moved to (Davidson County) Joelton, Tennessee. 
                         That winter, we arrived at my Grandmother "Clara Lee Barnes" home. It was so cold! My first impression as a "Florida Cracker" in Tennessee, was a foot of snow covering everything. I'd never felt cold below 55 degrees! It took a second to adjust but I was soon building snow men and making snow angels. It was so beautiful, I'd never seen anything so majestic. 
                         We worked for the better part of the next year and a half setting up our home less than a quarter-mile form my Grandmother's. We lived without any running water or electricity for about a year. I'll never forget having to carry five-gallon buckets of water I'd dip out of the "Sycamore Creek" and tote them back home to be warmed in a canning-pan on top of a kerosene heater. When my brother Jason would visit, he and I would sleep with our backs touching to stay warm and two blankets apiece. If I didn't have my head completely covered I could see my own breath.
                          I look back at those arduous times and can honestly say, I wouldn't change them for anything. We were bound together with harmony that few Families know anymore. My love of story-telling began during these times because we talked to each other and had personal communication. Human being's can't put a price on togetherness. 
                       

                       

No comments:

Post a Comment